Fall is Nutcracker season at Hyde Park School of Dance!
Dancers ages 7 and up in our level 1+ classes are invited to audition this September 28th-30th for our 2018 production.
The Nutcracker will take the stage December 14-16 at Mandel Hall here in Hyde Park, and promises to be a fun take on the timeless classic that reflects our wide range of programming. No matter which types of classes your dancers attend, our Nutcracker has a role for them!
Dancers interested in participating in this performance workshop should attend the audition corresponding with their ballet, jazz, or modern level. Dancers in hip hop should audition for the Big Battle scene. Students who do not take hip hop should audition with their ballet, jazz, and/or modern levels, but are also welcome to attend the battle scene audition if interested in performing in the hip hop & modern mouse & soldier battle.
See details below for audition times and more information!
- All auditions take place in our studios at 5650 S. Woodlawn Avenue.
- All auditioning dancers must be aged 7 or older, in level 1 or higher (not pre-ballet), and registered for classes with Hyde Park School of Dance.
- The workshop fee for The Nutcracker is $275, and is due October 7.
- No dancers under the age of 7 may audition for The Nutcracker, but dancers ages four through seven who are enrolled in HPSD's Pre-Ballet I, II, or III classes are invited to audition instead for our special Nutcracker pre-show performance, the Pre-Ballet Holiday Show! Pre-Ballet Holiday Show auditions will take place on Friday, October 5th, and the performance workshop fee for the Pre-Ballet Holiday Show is $125.
- Dancers should attend the audition that corresponds to their class level. All interested dancers ages 7+ may also attend the audition for the hip hop and modern 'Big Battle' scene.
- Dancers enrolled in classes of multiple dance styles or dancers with split-level placement are welcome to audition with the upper-most level group for which they qualify. Dancers may audition with each group that corresponds with their enrollment should they so choose, but are not required to audition with more than one group for casting consideration.
- New to The Nutcracker?
- Join Hyde Park School of Dance Artistic Director August Tye for a Brown Bag Lunch Chat on Saturday, September 15th, from 12:15 pm - 1:15 pm to ask your questions and get some answers before the auditions! Brown Bag Lunch Chats are informal bring-your-own-lunch conversations hosted by Ms. August for any adults affiliated with dancers in our programming who are interested in attending. The topic of our September 15th Brown Bag Lunch Chat is Auditioning for The Nutcracker. Our September Brown Bag Lunch Chat will be held in the RE Resource Room at 5650 S. Woodlawn Avenue.
- All participating dancers should be checked in and ready to dance at the start of their scheduled audition time. NO LATE ARRIVALS WILL BE CONSIDERED. Please plan accordingly.
- The Nutcracker is an elective performance workshop separate from classes; dancers who accept their role will attend rehearsals and costume fittings outside of their regularly scheduled classes.
- HPSD's Nutcracker auditions are placement auditions. This means everyone who auditions is offered a role, so long as they can commit to the rehearsal, costume fitting, and performance schedule and dancer expectations.
- Rehearsal schedules will be published when the cast list is announced, and each dancer will have the option to accept or decline their role at that time. If you would like to participate but aren't sure whether you'll be able to fit in rehearsals, we encourage you to attend the audition regardless so you can make a determination once you know what your dancer's role would be and have access to the rehearsal schedule associated with that role.
Audition Day 1 of 3:
FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 28
◉ 6:15 pm - 9:00 pm:
Boys in Ballet 4B+, Girls in 4B+ w/ 1 full year+ pointe training at HPSD
Audition Day 2 of 3:
SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 29
◉ 3:45 pm - 4:15 pm:
Mandatory New Family Info Meeting
This meeting is required for families who have never before had a dancer participate in The Nutcracker at Hyde Park School of Dance. Returning families may attend if they wish.
◉ 4:30 pm - 6:00 pm:
Jazz 3, Modern 3-4, Ballet 4A, Ballet 4B w/ less than 1 full year pointe experience
◉ 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm:
Jazz 2, Modern 2, Ballet 3
Audition Day 3 of 3:
SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 30
◉ 4:00 pm - 6:00 pm:
Big Battle Audition
Breaking I-III, and other dancers who are interested
This audition is for any dancers aged 7+ who would like to be considered for the hip hop & modern dance portion of The Nutcracker's "Big Battle" scene. No experience in hip hop/modern classes is required to audition for the Big Battle.
◉ 6:00 - 7:00 pm:
Jazz 1, Modern 1, Ballet 1, Ballet 2, Boys' Dance (dancers ages 7+ only)
Costume and make-up requirements, rehearsal schedules, and more will be available at hydeparkdance.org/cast once the cast list has been announced.
Help us make the show a success!
There are a variety of volunteer opportunities associated with The Nutcracker. Look for more info at the auditions and with the cast list announcement on how to lend your time and talents, or keep an eye on our volunteer page at hydeparkdance.org/volunteer!
Contact HPSD's office via email@example.com or 773-493-8498.
We hope to see you at the auditions!
Break a leg, dancers!